Thursday, February 21, 2008

49 minutes in.

A few years ago, at the Artistic New Directions Performance Improv Retreat (which, by the way, I could not recommend more highly), I was part of a kick-ass team that rehearsed all day and put up a new long-form show every night. Before the first show, when we were talking about what we were going to do that night, my new pal Heather (who is very wise) said: "Let's have fuckin' fun."* 

That became our team's performance philosophy. Every night, with six hours of classes and two hours of rehearsal under our collective belt, we set out to have a blast. That's all. Not "let's hit these beats" or "let's make sure we play excellent characters" or "let's do awesome object work." Just "Let's have fuckin' fun." And the completely unsurprising thing is, we did. Every. Single. Time. 

Skip to today. I'm talking to another very wise woman (in a 50-minute session that just happened to be covered by CIGNA) about self-awareness, self-esteem, confidence/the lack thereof, etc., etc., etc. This wise woman is a regular pointer-outer of the obvious thing I've been staring at without seeing. 

So as I'm getting ready to walk out the door, she says this: "Hey, isn't that your play time? Don't you do improv to have fun? Because it sounds like you're taking it too seriously."  

I get the feeling maybe when I've been taking notes, I forgot something important. I'm now looking very forward to having "fuckin' fun" with Spite and Tantrum


*If you are one of my high school kids, remember what Susan said about a time and a place. This is my place. Don't swear at school.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to put this to the top of my list of "things to remember to say before a show". It is something that should never be forgotten.

    Thanks Trish!!!

    ReplyDelete

New rule: I'm not approving anonymous comments. If you want to sit at the grownup table, you have to sign your name.

Now c'mon. Pick a fight.