Sunday, April 6, 2008

Live is improv. Improv is life. Blah, blah, blah.

I do burn a fair number of brain calories wondering if I've become a little...one-dimensional. I've always been the type to pick ONE THING and throw myself into it completely; being a bossy know-it-all, I tend to take an all-or-nothing approach to hobbies (like these). I want to know everything, or not care, and it's been that way since grade school.

(Yeah. This is part of the reason I have a shrink, maybe.)

THING ONE

So I wasn't particularly surprised the other day when Rob of Loaded Dice (also Tantrum and Thunderdome season two team Burnin' Sternums) called for suggestions of and phone numbers for local improv guys who might sub in after one of their players sprained his ankle. 

At some point in the conversation, he said something along the lines of (but funnier than), "I knew you'd have some ideas, but not that you'd know whether they had dentist appointments." And I thought, "I have to get a life."

 [Granted, I'd been trying to cast a show on the same night—and Pete says he could probably approximate the same sort of list with a similar amount of detail. But still.]

THING TWO

On the other hand, improv is handy in real life. I use the skills I've learned in workshops, rehearsals, on stage and behind the scenes in every aspect of my job. 

SO...

I'm doing an audit. For a week, I'm going to keep track of where (and how) improv is helping, where it's getting in the way and where it just is. (So, um, this may be fairly tedious for people who aren't me, my mother and stalkers.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

New rule: I'm not approving anonymous comments. If you want to sit at the grownup table, you have to sign your name.

Now c'mon. Pick a fight.