Thursday, June 5, 2008

Schmoozing


Schmoozing, originally uploaded by tberrongkc.

Jared and Ed graciously allowed glomming on to the Trip Fives sponsorship of the KC Downtowners Happy Hour (which I highly recommend).

First, let me remind you of my barely-E Myers-Briggs profile. Here. You don't really have to go there, but my point is that I am uncomfortable initiating social contacts. 

And that's putting it mildly. 

But Ed generously bullied me into attending the KC Downtowners happy hour, where I put out and passed out Tantrum/Scriptease fliers. And here is what I learned: 

  • "Scriptease" does not, at first read, come across as the name of an improv troupe. I explained several times that it was a bunch of guys in their early 20s, and that we would work very hard to keep them clothed. 
  • It is easier to schmooze in pairs. I followed/intro-ed both Tim and Jared, and it was much less unnerving. 
  • It is also easier to schmooze when you consumer about 700 calories during the day and blow the rest on beer.
  • I think I flirted. It's hard to tell, because a) I'm not particularly good at it and b) I had three beers and no food. But I am certain that I promised two guys that if they came out with us after the show, I would buy them a beer. They wrote my name on a flier. I stopped before giving them my phone number or making the same promise to anyone else. 
Anyway, it was a productive evening. I plugged Tantrum more than the festival, because—as I thought about what it would be like to talk to a bunch of people enjoying free drinks—I realized there was no way I was going to fully discuss the opportunities for festival sponsorship. 

5 comments:

  1. Trish flirted...hooray beer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...

    This is why it's a good thing I'm on medication that make three beers a "not so often" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Without that medication, you could really get your groove on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. That Wellbutrin is the only thing between me and some SERIOUSLY bad judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get off the meds, we need new Bad Idea game material!

    ReplyDelete

New rule: I'm not approving anonymous comments. If you want to sit at the grownup table, you have to sign your name.

Now c'mon. Pick a fight.