Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Call me squid lips


Call me squid lips, originally uploaded by tberrongkc.

Adam Boyd is a fan of the calamari. Especially the tentacles. He eats them, stretches them,wears them as a hat. (Actually, he'll wear almost anything as a hat.)

I, on the other hand, didn't stop being grossed out by the tiny tentacle part of the calamari basket until I had a near-lethal combination of tequila shots and sangria and realized that, hey! Iw as totally cool with the tentacles. Whee! Also, I talk too much. 

So after a day at the Portfolio Center and Creative Circus (where I was far less than eloquent), I hung outside waiting for my dad to come pick me up. I called my mom when my dad didn't answer the phone, worried that he'd get lost on the back-stree...oh. Yeah. Dad grew up in and around Atlanta. If anyone can figure this out, it's my dad in his new red Corvette convertible (hee...mid-life crisis, or just a car freak?).

Anyway, I ended up eating tapas and drinking Mojitos with Mom, Dad, Lori, David and my new best buddy, Adam ("Anam eat! Anam dance! Anam! Anam!"). Over the last two years, because of busy-ness and life and everything else that gets in the way, we've gone from the once-every-couple-of-months visits we'd worked up to, to three-six months between visits...which is just NOT ACCEPTABLE. 

When I mention my improv schedule to people at work, the first question is almost always, "How do you have time for that?" 

Easy. 

I don't have a husband or kids. My entire family lives in Georgia. All that time people put into raising or spending with families? I have free for press releases and rehearsals. And I go back and forth between really loving that freedom...to being scared to death I've completely lost my ability to compromise...to being really, really jealous of friends who've grown up here, live a short drive from their families and see their parents and siblings often enough that it's not an event. 

Because I was in Atlanta last week, tonight felt...normal. It was just dinner. No big deal, just hanging out with my family. No pressure to cram everything in to a few hours or linger over goodbyes. The best part? When I walked up to my sister's minivan, got a big grin from Adam and when I said, "Want to come with Meep?" he lifted up his arms and said "Uh HUH."

No comments:

Post a Comment

New rule: I'm not approving anonymous comments. If you want to sit at the grownup table, you have to sign your name.

Now c'mon. Pick a fight.