Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Time for some resolutions?

The KC Improv Festival is like Christmas for KC improvisers. And after spending way more time than usual with our extended family, eating and drinking too much, getting some great gifts (for me, in the form of getting to work with Mark Sutton and Susan Messing again), this week has provided a much-needed chance to detox.

Over the last couple of weeks, I was rehearsing or doing shows almost every night. This week, I had the kids last night and don't dive back in until my Thunderdome team plays on Saturday.

Then I caught myself telling some folks on my staff that I never wanted our department to have the cutthroat vibe of an advertising agency. And for a work-related thing about how I approach things, I wrote:
I believe collaboration gets better results than competition.
I care more about effectiveness than awards.
And I think if I'm doing my job right, I'll never be the one
who gets the credit for the brilliant idea.
Um. Can you believe something deep in your heart...but forget it enough sometimes that you act like you believe the complete opposite?




3 comments:

  1. I really like this post Trish. I agree with that mantra 100%

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill (http://biscuitpig.livejournal.com) wrote this, and it makes me happy:

    Every time I remember we're all one thing I feel better. I can't be jealous, your successes are my successes and my successes are your successes. I can't be angry because your pain is my pain. We're all just one thing, comprised of atoms and shared hopes and dreams.

    It's hard to remember!


    There's a cat on my foot and a breeze on my face, who could complain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree. I think competition gets better results than collaboration. But I agree with the second line.

    They don't build statues of committees.

    Peace out.

    ReplyDelete

New rule: I'm not approving anonymous comments. If you want to sit at the grownup table, you have to sign your name.

Now c'mon. Pick a fight.